Richard Steiner -- Skillset Overview
Here's a quick (but not comprehensive) overview of my programming experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from Mankato State University.
- 13+ years of Unisys 1100/2200 mainframe batch and transaction system experience including:
- 2 years of Fortran and MASM as a Unisys contractor at Northwest Airlines.
- 2+ years of Fortran, COBOL, and CALL at the Unisys Airline Center.
- 8+ years of Fortran, COBOL, CALL, and MASM at Northwest Airlines.
- 18 months of C/Solaris/Sybase/T-SQL and Tuxedo/OpenOLTP at NWA.
- 8 months of Unisys A-Series COBOL/DMSII/WFL mainframe experience.
In addition, I have:
- 10+ years using IBM mainframe-based tools (ISPF, DCF, InfoMan, ChangeMan).
- 10+ years using Windows applications (Word, ABS Flowcharter, Visio).
- 8+ years of experience with HTML doing static web page design.
- 6 months of experience with Perl, awk, shell scripting, and REXX.
- Experience with MS-DOS, OS/2, Linux, and VAX/VMS programming environments.
- 15 years of experience building, configuring, networking, and using
PCs (see my home LAN) including:
- 15 years with Windows (Windows/286 2.1 through Windows XP Pro).
- 12 years with OS/2 (OS/2 2.0 through eComStation 1.1).
- 12 years with Linux (SLS Linux 0.98 through Mandrake 8.2).
- 10 years with MacOS (MacOS 6.x through MacOS 9.x)
- Experience configuring file sharing in a mixed environment including
- Mac filesharing (MacOS 7.x, 8.x, 9.x)
- Windows 95/98/NT/XP file and printer sharing
- OS/2 Warp 4 and eComStation (both nfs and peer-to-peer)
- Linux filesharing (both nfs and Samba).
- Experience configuring various X servers such as
XFree86 (Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2), Hummingbird Exceed (Windows, OS/2),
MI/X (Windows), MacX (MacOS), HOBLink X11 (OS/2), as well as
VNC servers and clients on Windows, OS/2, and Linux.
- Currently learning Java using the
BlueJ Java environments,
During my 14-year career I've done many things, including:
- Software design work
- by myself (solo projects)
- as part of a team with one or more other programmers, and
- cooperatively with various end-users and business analysts
- Software coding/testing/implementation
- of interactive applications used by end users/customers
- of interactive utilities and editors for programmers/teammates
- of batch software and controlling runstreams and scripts, and
- of "real-time" data-driven software (weather feeds, flight times, etc.)
- Production software support, including
- support of customer applications while working at Unisys
- support of systems critical to the continued operation of an airline
- carrying a pager 24x7 and providing direct support to the help desk
and phone support to customers in the field
- support of highly complex multi-system applications and data feeds
If you'd like to view my resume (DOC, HTML, ASCII), please click HERE.
Otherwise, click HERE to view my original
Most recent revision: October 13, 2004
Copyright © 2004 by
Richard C. Steiner